Updated: Sep 2
Waking up in the morning, looking at yourself in the mirror and realising your hair is bigger than your face is absolutely normal during the humid weather conditions. When it comes to people with curly and wavy hair, living with frizziness is a nightmare. You spend so much time and effort to make your hair look perfect before stepping out of the house, only to realise that within 2 minutes your hair resembles a bird's nest.
Many of us blame the frizziness on the texture of our hair, but frizz is a result of lacking a proper hair care regimen. There's no denying that these out of control tresses can be a little hard to maintain, but as they say consistency is key.
Frizz and hair loss, are the most common hair concerns during the hot and humid monsoon months. So let's understand what causes frizzy hair and the right hair care regime to follow to keep frizz at bay. One of Delhi's leading dermatologists, Dr Kiran Sethi, takes us through all we need to know about frizzy hair. (Source: https://tinyurl.com/y3zow7fd/)
What causes frizz?
According to one of Delhi's leading dermatologists, Dr. Kiran Sethi, curly, damaged, colour, treated and ageing hair all have raised cuticles on the hair shaft, which are flat in normal hair. This cuticle is dehydrated, so it takes up water from the humidity in the air and makes the hair full or bloated causing frizz.
How can you tame frizz?
To tame frizzy hair the cuticle needs to be flattened, this can be done in the following ways:-
- Reduce hair treatments and colouring that damages the cuticle.
- Reduce shampooing to 1-2 times a week. Shampooing too often can strip the hair of its natural sebum when done too much
- Use cold water to shampoo. Hot water raises the cuticles.
- Use acidic hair rinses like flat beer or champagne for temporary results.
- Condition the strands before shampooing and after shampooing to protect from hair stripping
- Oil your hair with coconut oil, you can also use this as a natural serum.
- Wear sunscreen on your hair so the sun doesn't dry the hair.
Haircare tips for frizzy hair?
- Avoid chemical treatments like keratin, hair colouring, blow dries, straightening and perming.
- Avoid hot water to wash your hair, opt for cold water to seal the cuticle. Hot water & hot air raises the cuticle causing more frizz.
- Gently towel dry your hair or let them air dry naturally. Stay away from heat application.
- Brush your hair gently from the bottom upwards, and no wet combing. Using a wide tooth comb to brush your hair is a good idea.
A lot of you now may ask - But what are the home remedies we can practice? We've curated a list of some of the best hair masks and home ingredients for frizzy hair. Eggs, Vitamin E and bananas are a good idea when you're looking for easy home solutions. To further add, you can also opt for a hair mask by combining various ingredients.
8 Hair masks for frizzy hair
1. Combined 1 ripe banana, yoghurt and almond oil to create a hair mask. Leave on for 30 minutes and rinse off.
2. Mix warm organic honey, aloe vera and glycerin to use as a hair mask. Working as a humectant, it binds water allowing the hair to be hydrated in a healthy way.
3. Combine 1/4 cup almond oil and 1 raw egg. Apply it to your scalp, leave it on for 40 minutes. Shampoo and condition your hair.
4. Mix 1 part vitamin E oil and 4 parts organic cold-pressed coconut oil and apply to your scalp and the length of your hair. Wash off after 40 minutes.
5. Mash one avocado and mix with 1 cup yogurt to get a smooth, creamy paste. Apply it to your hair and let it sit for 40-45 minutes. Wash thoroughly with shampoo and follow it up with your conditioner.
6. Beer works wonders as a fix to frizz. Decarbonate your beer by pouring it into a bowl. Let it sit overnight until it goes flat. Wash your hair with shampoo and then pour the beer through your hair while massaging your scalp. Rinse the beer out with cold water.
7. Just like beer, vinegar or apple cider vinegar as a great hair rinse option. Mix one part vinegar with water. After washing your hair, pour over the mix, massage into your scalp. leave on for 5-7 mins and rinse.
8. Mix 2 tablespoons honey and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. After washing your hair, massage your scalp for a couple of minutes. Leave on for 10 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water and shampoo.
Ultimately the bottom line is - Frizz is caused due to dryness and damage and of course, a lack of hydration. Just like the to flawless glowing skin is hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, the same applies for hair. The idea is the deep condition your hair will coconut oil and keep them well hydrated.