'Tis officially the season for holly leaves to deck the halls. The winter chill, and the best time of the year, Christmas is just a month away and Thanksgiving is a day away. Savouring a traditional (and authentic) Thanksgiving meal might be a rare occurrence in India, but who says you can't get to the task and make your very own scrumptious turkey? Be it roast turkey, cranberry sauce, pies, potatoes or stuffing recipes,
these recipes will ensure this year’s Thanksgiving dinner is truly unforgettable.
Recipe By Shangri-La Eros New Delhi
5kg Whole Turkey
For Flavoured Butter
500 gm Unsalted butter
5 gm pepper
5 gm Parsley
30 gm Garlic
1 kg Onion 1kg
200 gm Garlic
4 gm Salt
4 gm Pepper
200 gm Parsley
100 ml Lemon Juice
100 ml Olive oil (EV)
1.Remove the turkey from the fridge about 30 minutes before you start working with it. Remove the neck and bag of giblets from the turkey.
2. For marination take a medium bowl add butter, olive oil, lemon juice and 3 pressed garlic cloves, 1/4 cup chopped parsley, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Mix with a whisk until well combined (the lemon juice doesn’t easily stir into butter but keep mixing and it will happen after a few minutes).
3. Separate the skin from the turkey breast by pushing your fingers under the skin without tearing the skin.
4. Stuff the butter mixture under the skin then spread the butter around by massaging over the top of the skin. This butter keeps the turkey breast tender, and juicy and provides rich flavor.
5. Rub the remaining butter over the outside of the turkey. Drizzle all over the top of the turkey with olive oil and generously season with salt and pepper 6. Stuff turkey with quartered onion, carrot, 4 halved garlic cloves, 1/2 bunch parsley and quartered lemon. Tie the turkey base and legs together crossing the legs to close up the turkey cavity
Preheat the oven to 430˚F on the bake mode. cover the turkey with silver foil and place in the oven. foil will shield your turkey breast and keep it from getting dry. Start roasting at 430˚F for the first 20 min and Remove from oven. quickly baste with butter from the bottom of the dish. Reduce oven to 350˚F and roast the turkey for another 2 hours 30 min. The turkey thigh should register at 170˚F on the temperature probe and the breast at 160˚F to make sure it’s fully cooked through then remove from the oven (keep in mind the turkey temp continues to rise slightly after it’s out of the oven)
Recipe by Chef Dinesh Rana, Executive Chef, Courtyard by Marriott Aravali Resort
1 whole turkey butterball
100 gm of roughly cut aromatic vegetables carrots, celery, onion
200 ml extra-virgin olive oil
100 gms teaspoon freshly chopped thyme
2 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp honey
Begin by rinsing the turkey inside and out with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Then move on to the marination. Marinate the Turkey with mustard, honey and chopped thyme and refrigerate overnight.
Remove the from the refrigerator 2 hours prior to cooking and preheat the oven to 160-170 degrees. Once the oven is heated add the aromatic vegetables at the base of the baking tray, place turkey with breast side up into a roasting and pat turkey and cavity dry with paper towels. Loosen turkey skin over the breast and thighs with your fingers.
Next mix olive oil, and fresh thyme in a bowl and rub the seasoned oil over the turkey and underneath the loosened skin. Cover the turkey loosely with aluminium foil. Roast the turkey in the preheated oven. To 130˚ͨC for 4 hours.
Porchetta (Italian Pork Roulade)
Recipe by Kakapo Restaurant
1 whole boneless, rind-on pork belly, about 4 kg
2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
3 tablespoons whole fennel seeds
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
3 tablespoons finely chopped rosemary, sage and thyme leaves
12 cloves garlic, grated
Place pork belly skin-side down on a large cutting board. Using a sharp knife, score flesh at an angle using strokes about 1 inch apart. Rotate the knife 90 degrees and repeat to create a diamond pattern in the flesh.
Toast peppercorns and fennel seeds in a small skillet over medium-high heat until lightly browned and aromatic, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a mortar and pestle or spice grinder and grind until roughly crushed.
Season pork liberally with salt then sprinkle with crushed pepper and fennel, red pepper, chopped herbs and garlic. Use your hands to rub the mixture deeply into the cracks and crevices in the meat.
Roll belly into a tight log and push to the top of the cutting board, seam-side down. Cut 12 to 18 lengths of kitchen twine long enough to tie around the pork and lay them down in regular intervals along your cutting board, about 1 inch apart each. Lay rolled pork seam-side down on top of strings. Working from the outermost strings towards the centre, tie up the roast tightly. Use 2 tablespoons of kosher salt and rub over the entire surface of the pork.
Wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate at least overnight and up to 3 days.
Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and preheat oven to 150°C. Place pork in a V-rack set in a large roasting pan on a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet. Place roasting pan in oven and roast until the internal temperature of the pork reaches 65°C, about 2 hours, basting with pan drippings every half hour.
Increase oven temperature to 260°C and continue roasting until completely crisp and blistered, about 20 to 30 minutes longer.
Mexican Style Puree de Papa Potato
Recipe by Poco Loco
Mash Potato 210 gm
Onion 15 gm
Tomato 15 gm
Green Bell paper 20 gm
Red Bell paper 20 gm
Yellow Bell paper 20 gm
Coriander 15 gm
Butter 20 gm
Cream 25 gm
Parmesan Cheese 7 gm
Jalapeno 15 gm
Mexican Seasoning 10 gm
Lime Juice 3 gm
Salt 5 gm
Take a pan add butter, onion, tomato, bell papers, and jalapeno and cook it for 3 to 5 min. Add in the mashed potatoes, cream, Parmesan Cheese, salt, lime juice, and Mexican seasoning and mix well. Garnish it with micro greens.
Contemporary Peking Duck
Recipe By Chef Pankhri Bey Executive Chef, Maruchi Delhi
Duck whole skin on
Chinese five-spice powder
Chinese cooking wine
For Poaching liquid: star anise, fennel seeds, Sichuan pepper, cinnamon and cloves
Ginger scallion sauce
1. Clean the duck and soak them in water by adding vinegar for about 45-60 minutes.
2. Remove the duck from the water and Pat dry with paper to remove any moisture.
3. With the help of a pipe or a blower or compressor blow the duck by inserting the pipe at the neck of the duck to separate the skin internally from the meat.
4. Now Rub the body inside out with the marinades all over and let it rest for about 1 hour or overnight over a wire rack inside a tray.
4. On the other side mix all the poaching liquid ingredients with water and bring to a boil.
5. Now take a tray hold the duck over and start basting or pouring over the duck skin entirely.
6. Dry the duck and dry overnight with the help of a fan.
7. Third day: in a bowl mix maltose, vinegar and sugar. Coat the mixture over the duck skin thoroughly and let it rest for another 1 hour to dry.
8. Preheat the oven and roast the duck. Once roasted, let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
9. Take the steamed pancake. Spread plum sauce, ginger scallion sauce, five spice powder and salt, place cucumber and leeks julienne, and place the cut parts of duck. Roll and serve warm.
Sous Vide Turkey
Recipe by Poco Loco
Turkey Leg 280 gm
Mash Potato 100 gm
Blueberry Compote 40 gm
Chicken Jus 50 gm
Butter 60 gm
Thyme 10 gm
Rosemary 10 gm
Oregano 100 gm
Oil 10 gm
Garlic 10 gm
Cream 20 gm
Pat dry the turkey using paper towels. Season it generously with salt and pepper on both sides. Place the turkey, fresh thyme, rosemary sprigs, and crushed garlic cloves into a vacuum-sealed bag. Gently lower the sealed bag into the preheated water bath, ensuring the turkey is fully submerged. Clip the bag to the side of the cooking container to prevent it from floating. Cook the turkey in the sous vide water bath for approximately 1 to 2 hours. After the turkey has cooked in the sous vide, remove it from the bag and pat it dry with paper towels. Serve it as a main dish along with mashed potato and blueberry compote.
Mexican Spiced Pollo Wings Con Blueberry Sour Cream
Recipe by Poco Loco
Chicken Wings 220 gm
Garlic 10 gm
Mexican Spiced Powder 10 gm
Oregano 7 gm
Thyme 7 gm
Basil 7 gm
Peri peri powder 7 gm
Oil 10 gm
Butter 10 gm
Chipotle Sauce 15 gm
Cream 10 gm
Fresh blueberries 15 gm
Sour cream 25 gm
Place the chicken wings in a large bowl add oregano thyme basil garlic Mexican spiced powder peri peri powder oil salt black pepper mix it well and keep it aside for 10 min. After that grill the chicken wings, then put it in the oven for 10 min. In a pan add chicken wings along with oil garlic chipotle sauce cream peri peri powder seasoning and salt toss well and serve it with blueberry sour cream.
It truly doesn't get better than savouring an authentic Thanksgiving meal at Plats. With a specially curated menu for vegetarians and non-vegetarians, some of the highlights on the menu are Baked brie, cranberry and rosemary galettes Sweet potato roesti with wild mushroom duxelle and parmesan, Kale, walnut and sundried tomato stuffed roasted butternut squash with pommery mustard sauce Mushroom and Leek Pot Pie, Thanksgiving roast turkey roulade and breast with apple and sage stuffing, cranberry jus Chicken and Leek Pot Pie and Caramelized apple and pecan brioche pudding, vanilla bean ice cream and brandy sauce.
However, if you are in the mood to step out, CAARA's extravgant thanksgiving menu is well worth the calories. Using the best of local and international ingredients from classic USA Butterball turkeys to organic corn-fed roast chicken, it will leave your mouth watering. The special menu also features a mouthwatering Pecan tart!