Updated: Nov 3, 2020
When you think of comfort food, chocolate is sure to make it to your list. While you might feel guilty eating all those calories, there's no denying that nothing says indulgence like a rich chocolate dessert. Think a dark chocolate mousse, chocolate lava cake, brownies, chocolate chip cookies or even a rich chocolate ganache. This chocolate day we have put together a list of 5 must-try recipes, cause on World Chocolate Day calories don't count! So it's time to give in to your chocolate cravings.
1. Chocolate Lava Cake
There's nothing like the perfect gooey, oozy, and fudgy chocolate lava cake. Here’s a quick and easy recipe to follow. So dig into a spoon full of indulgence.
170g semi-sweet chocolate
1/2 cup or 1 stick unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
- Line the ramekin with butter and dust with cocoa powder. - Preheat oven to 200 degrees. - Place butter into a medium heat-proof bowl, then add chopped chocolate on top. Microwave on high in 10-second increments, stirring after each until completely smooth. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, confectioners’ sugar, and salt together in a small bowl. - Whisk the eggs and egg yolks together until combined in another small bowl.
- Pour the flour mixture and eggs into the bowl of chocolate. Slowly stir everything together. - Spoon the chocolate batter evenly into each prepared ramekin or muffin cup.
- Place ramekins onto a baking sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes until the sides appear solid and firm– the tops will still look soft. *If baking in a muffin pan, the cakes only take about 8-10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 1 minute, then cover each with an inverted plate and turn over.
- Serve hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
2. Fudgy Brownies
Looking for a quick pick-me-up? Fudgy brownies with choco & cream frosting are all you need! Or if you're a sucker for Nutella, add a dollop to top it off.
1 cup butter
2 cups caster sugar
4 tsp vanilla essence
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup chocolate chunks
6 tsp butter
6 tsp cocoa powder
4 tsp cream cheese
2 tsp honey
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups icing sugar
4 tsp milk
Pre-heat the oven & line the pan with butter or parchment paper. Melt butter and add sugar. Add eggs one by one, beating well after each egg. Sift in the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt. Toss the choco chunks in 1/2 tsp of flour and add to the batter. Bake for 30 mins.
For the frosting beat butter with cocoa powder. Add honey and vanilla. Sift in icing sugar and milk simultaneously to maintain consistency. Adjust the icing sugar and milk till you achieve the desired sweetness and consistency.
3. Chocolate Caramel Cake
We can't thank Pooja Dhingra (Founder, Le 15 India) enough for this indulgent chocolate caramel cake. Here's all that you need!
200g castor sugar
20g cocoa powder
75g vegetable oil
1 tsp baking side
1/2 tsp salt
300g dark chocolate
For Caramel Sauce:
100 g cream
150g brown sugar
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, caster sugar and salt in one bowl and whisk well.
- Add water and oil to the dry ingredients
- Add vinegar and baking soda. Once it bubbles put it into the batter and mix well.
- Pour batter to the baking tray and bake at 180 degrees for 30-35 mins
Make caramel sauce
Add brown sugar to a pan and stir on medium heat till the brown sugar melts and turns a brown-amber colour. Take the pan off the heat and add cream. Put into a bowl, add butter and mix well. Add a pinch of salt and mix.
Heat the cream and pour over chocolate. Add butter and mix well.
Once your cake is cool layer with caramel sauce and ganache. Chill for 30 mins after layer and finish with more caramel sauce and ganache.
4. Chocolate Chip Cookies
Tea time cookies? Well, chocolate chip cookies are the only ones we want. So get baking!
1 and 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp vanilla essence
2 cups choco chips
Pre-heat the oven. Melt butter and add both white and brown sugar and beat. Add eggs and vanilla essence. Sift in flour, salt and baking soda. Fold the dry mixture into the wet mixture. Fold in the choco chips, shape and bake for 15 mins at 180 degrees.
5. Hervé Chocolate Mousse
Not only is this recipe eggless, but all you need are three ingredients. Here's a super easy recipe of a Hervé chocolate mousse.
1 and 1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate
3/4 cup water
Whipped cream for the topping
Pour the water into a saucepan over medium heat.
Whisk in the chocolate till you get a nice smooth sauce.
Put the sauce pan in a bowl filled with ice cubes
over medium-low heat, whisk in the chocolate, then whisk the chocolate sauce till it thickens. Once strands of chocolate form inside the loops of the whisk. Pour or spoon immediately into a bowl or jar to set.
Refrigerate & top with whipped cream!
Happy World Chocolate Day!